By order of the Archbishop, at a Eucharistic celebration presided over by one of the Auxiliary Bishops of Los Angeles, the Claretians handed over the “Mission of Our Lady Queen of Angels”, commonly known as “La Placita” to the Archdiocese of Los Angeles. The Claretians have served in this parish for 105 years. This brings to a close a beautiful missionary history written from the close proximity of thousands of immigrants that arrived in the small Church square for support in their faith, legal aid for the many problems that they had to deal with and a community that welcomed them, thus feeling much needed warmth.
Since 1910, there have been many Claretians who have worked at La Placita, located in downtown nunc 528-529 • july-august 2015 Los Angeles and a point of reference for many people who had to emigrate to the United States of America in search of better living conditions for their families. The social commitment that La Placita developed throughout the years has been remarkable. In addition to the spiritual care of the faithful, the Claretians have responded to those searching for a safe place in moments of great difficulty.